What Kind of RV Coverage Do You Need?

As an RV owner in Astoria OR, you know you need RV insurance to protect your valuable investment. You may not know, however, what kind of RV coverage to obtain. At Linda Dugan Insurance, we can guide you in making good RV insurance choices to suit your lifestyle. Here are a few tips for choosing the RV coverage you need.

Protection for Your RV

Whether you’ve taken out a loan for your RV or own it outright, you’ll want coverage to protect your investment. This is where collision, comprehensive, and uninsured motorist coverage comes into play.

Collision covers the cost of repairing your RV if it’s damaged in a crash. Comprehensive protects you against RV theft and covers damage caused by inclement weather, animal strikes, vandalism, and other non-collision events. Uninsured motorist protects you against uninsured and hit and run drivers.

Protection for Others

RV liability insurance covers damage to others in RV accidents that are your fault. It covers others’ medical injuries and property damage, so these funds don’t have to come from your own pocket. A serious RV accident could cause a lot of damage to others. That’s why it’s important not to skimp on liability coverage. Liability coverage is also the only type of RV insurance required by Oregon law.

Specialized Coverage

If you live in your RV year-round or travel extensively, you’re at greater risk of theft, damage, or loss. You may want extra coverage like:

  • Personal property & attachment to protect personal items in or attached to your RV
  • Vacation liability to cover accidents in or around your RV when you’re at a campground
  • Replacement cost coverage to cover the cost of replacing your RV if it’s totaled in a crash.

To purchase RV coverage in Astoria, OR, call or visit Linda Dugan Insurance today.

How to prepare your home for a flood

Everyone hopes that no storm will be so severe as to flood one’s home. However, hope is not a plan. Linda Dugan Insurance, serving Astoria, OR would like to give some helpful suggestions to at least mitigate the damage that a flood might cause.

You should check FEMA’s Flood Map Service Center to see how much at risk your neighborhood is for flooding.

You should be on the lookout for flooding threats, such as heavy storms, paying attention to media reports.

Check the elevation of your house from the street level. If you have the funds, consider elevating your home higher. Even an extra foot or two may make all the difference. Raise your electrical outlets higher from the floor. Apply sealants to parts of the house that might admit water, such as windows and doors. Make sure that your gutters and drains are clear of leaves and other obstructions so that water can flow through them freely.

Place all important documents in a waterproof container, and place the container in a secure part of the house.

If a flood is imminent, move valuables, especially electronics such as computers and televisions, to higher levels of the house. Unplug everything to avoid shorts and possible fire hazards. If floodwaters are about to enter the house, turn off the electricity at the breaker. Consider using sandbags to block the entry of floodwaters.

And, finally, make sure that your flood insurance is current. Remember, your regular home insurance does not cover damage from flooding. Flood damage can cost thousands of dollars to repair. 

For more answers to questions concerning flooding and flood insurance feel free to contact Linda Dugan Insurance, serving Astoria, OR.