Do You Need RV Insurance for Towable RVs?

If you drive a vehicle that tows an RV behind it, you may wonder if that towed RV needs its own insurance policy. It’s a good question that is commonly overlooked.

Linda Dugan Insurance serving Astoria, OR knows that you have insurance questions. If you want to know if your towed RV needs its own policy, here’s what you need to know.

Towable RVs May Be Covered By Your Auto Policy

When you have an RV that you tow, your auto insurance policy may already cover it. However, in many cases, only some coverage applies to the RV. For example, you might have collision coverage, but it may not cover the personal belongings inside the RV.

Towable RV Lenders May Require RV Policies

You may also need RV insurance for an RV that you tow if you are paying a loan on it. Lenders may require that you have special insurance that covers the replacement cost of the RV if it is totaled. Lenders also often require that you have comprehensive and collision coverage for your RV, even if you do not have it for your car.

Motorhomes Require Separate Policies

Everything changes if you get an RV that you can drive. When you operate an RV separately from another vehicle, it must have its own insurance policy. At the very least, you need to have liability insurance to cover any damage you cause.

Get RV Insurance to Protect Yourself

Linda Dugan Insurance, which provides insurance services to the residents of Astoria, OR, can help you determine what kind of insurance policy is right for your RV. Contact an insurance professional today to get the right policy.

Three Myths About Flood Insurance

Flood insurance is one of the many riders that can be attached to a current property insurance policy. This type of policy offers protection against damage that occurs from a flood. However, many Astoria, OR property owners may be confused about flood insurance due to the fact that there are so many myths that surround this particular type of coverage, leading individuals to not invest in it.

To help clear things up a bit, the team at Linda Dugan Insurance has put together some information that will help you in determining whether flood insurance is right for your individual situation.

Flood Insurance Is Standard with Your Homeowner’s Insurance Policy

Many people assume that their homes are properly protected under their home insurance policy in the event of a flood. However, most insurance companies specifically exclude this type of damage from the standard home policy. To ensure your property is properly protected against this hazard, a rider for flood insurance will need to be purchased for an additional fee.

Flood Insurance Isn’t Necessary Unless You Reside in a Flood Plain

A flood can occur absolutely anywhere. You do not need to live in a flood plain. In fact, roughly 20 to 25 percent of all flood claims are actually for properties that are outside of the designated flood danger areas. For example, if you live near a dam or levee, your property could be at risk.

Flood Insurance Isn’t Needed Because FEMA Disaster Aid Is Available to Everyone

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Disaster Aid will only apply if the United States President declares the flood as a natural disaster. Even then, though, you generally have to repay the aid that you receive. However, flood insurance will pay regardless of the disaster status of the flood. In addition, you won’t have to worry about paying your insurance company the money back.

If you still have questions about flood insurance for your Astoria property, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. Linda Dugan Insurance is here to help you understand the various insurance options available to you, whether it is flood insurance or another form of insurance. Give us a call today!